Monday, May 9, 2011

Day 365: Year's up

This is my last day in my year off the grog.

I started this year thinking it was normal to drink pretty well every day, and to get pissed pretty well every week. I had been drinking to excess for about 20 years. Living like an Aussie bloke.

Well, sorry to say this, but Aussie blokes come last. They miss out. They miss out on time, on health, on chicks, on exercise, on nature, on looking good.

They miss out.

Cracking a tinny or swishing some fine wine around your mouth while you hold the glass up the light: if you have any tendency to go that bit far then it's all the same. Whether you justify it through mateship or sophistication, it is all the same. Getting pissed; that's what it is.

You are making a choice as to how you spend your time. Dancing with a drug so engrained in our culture you don't even know it is one, or spending your life doing the things you want to do, looking after yourself, keeping your health and weight in check, and waking up each day clear headed with a sense of purpose.

It's just a choice.

I've chosen to get my shit together. It's a slow process. This year I lost over 22kg, but have recently put some back on so I'm back under 20kg. But I'll be on track soon enough, and 15-20kg lost is still fabulous. And you know what it's just the start.

I'm changing into someone completely different to the person I was when I started. A beer expert? A fat drunken guy who came last more like it. Even though, like many, he thought he was coming first.

I am going to be that fit guy people look at when he walks past. Not in a fuckwit way. Just in an a 'that guy is fit' way. Getting off the piss has allowed me to work that out.

I'll get there. Sober. I'm off to my own personal training session now. It's dark. Raining. I hate gyms - or at least the old me did, but I'm going to one.

Wouldn't be doing this hung over.

Enough rambling. It's all there if you want to reminisce: my ramblings for a year.

Thanks to those who supported me through comments and otherwise. It does make a difference. You know who you are.

Good luck working it out on your side.

5 comments:

  1. Sorry mate! I missed this this morning. Still waking up I think. I posted on the post for your cat. What a year it has been. I am so proud of you mate! What a great present you have given to yourself as well. Some one on one with a PT. I'll be interested to see how it goes.

    Once again mate. Fucking great job!

    Brett.

    P.S. WTF is your cat eating????

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic achievement mate - you have truly been an inspiration and I only hope that I can now follow in your footsteps. Your honesty and ability to get to the point has been refreshing, I hope to continue to hear how you are getting on however you decide to go on from here. I am now totally committed to following your example for many of the same reasons - piss is a waste of time and energy and there is so much more to do in life as you have found out. Good luck with the training programme - keep us posted. Midnightson.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey you 2, thanks very much. You guys have been great. It was Brett's blog that got me thinking, and Claire's blog that got me going (Midnightson's is the only one I still follow). My personal training went really well this morning, and I just cooked a cracking healthy meal with my new weber. Hopefully up at the crack this morning to walk the hill. I have tried to be honest. I haven't put every shameful act down. But I didn't have a drink, and I feel better for it - that isn't a lie. What the future holds, I don't know, but I want to get fit and lean first, before I even think about drinking again. It may come in later life - I think it's healthy, and if I was the correct weight for an extended period I might try and incorporate it back in moderation. Is that possible? Who knows. But for the foreseeable future - at least the next two years, I don't think I'll be drinking. The fact I don't even miss it any more speaks volumes doesn't it. I think it suits me to be off the piss.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A big congratulations on the year off the grog! such a huge thing in our culture and you should be very proud of yourself and your weight loss. I have enjoyed reading your blog for the last year and you have been an inspiration...
    All the best for the future and I hope things go well with the PT :)
    Cheers,
    Jo

    ReplyDelete