Thursday, November 25, 2010

Day 200: Time flies



Wow, 200 days with no piss. And pretty much over it or so I thought. I've been tested a little here in NZ. Fine in the house. But on holidays, overseas (is there an overseas loophole? come on....), where I had a great pissy time last time. I felt real pangs here. Real physical pangs. First outside a little pub, which has the best beer in the world in it, and second in the supermarket where they stock the best beer around also.

I felt pangs, and almost a little sick or sad or something. A sense of loss, regret and desire.

I had to get out of there quick smart. Fine back at the house, as I said.

But, off to a wine tasting tonight. That will be the test - do I give a shit there. I suspect not.

Have I enjoyed the trip any less? I don't think so. I've really enjoyed it. And if you are hungover, can you really enjoy natural beauty? I think you enjoy it less. Everything is a bit shit when you are hungover, even a nice mountain.

Funny my cousin is coming over as well. Pretty much first SMS was inviting me out for a beer. Declined. Asked him if he wanted to walk in the morning. Got a reply a bit later saying he was 'on the soup' and no chance for morning. And couldn't come to dinner because had booked into wine tasting (which I'm now going to).

So, first night in foreign country. Pissed. Presumably hungover.

Second night in foreign country. Pissed. Presumably hungover.

Look, I've been there. I get it. I've written about it. I've loved it as much as any man.

It is just a different perspective. A drunken one. Different experiences. Different choices.

But it's a choice (at a binge level) that does not lead to one improving one's health, which is where I'm trying to go. And it is a slippery slope. A few drinks and I'd be back on the turps for sure.

So still on track, in beautiful NZ. Off to walk the Milford track on Saturday, for 4 days.



No comments:

Post a Comment