Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Day 157?: Have boots; around the hill

Well, I went back out around the hill again yesterday for the first time in a couple of weeks. Hororah for that.

Still off the piss.

Speaking of piss, I still google it to see if what I am doing is insane. I found an article which I think is the best I have read. So many people, and articles, take an evangelical view of drinking or not drinking. I know when I drank I spent a lot of time educating people about the joys of alcohol, beer in particular, and introducing them to tastes and experiences that they have not come across before. I was a beer evangelist. Now that I am off the turps for 12 months - at least - I have to had to fight to not become judgmental or to lecture people about their drinking. Very difficult to do when you are in a room full of drunks. Where possible though, I have tried to put out the message that there is no right or wrong answer, and drinking or not drinking is a very personal thing.

Anyway, this is the article:

http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/what-should-you-eat/alcohol-full-story/index.html

Almost makes you want to have a (moderate) drink eh? But I guess that is the real question. Can you stop at just one, especially over time. Or would you descend into drinking perhaps more than is good for you, affecting your sleep, exercise, days after, mental health, liver etc.

Anyway, they say the benefits, health wise, are more important etc at 60 than 35, so I don't have to consider it yet. They also point out that you should only consider moderate drinking if you are thin, and so I have a way to go on that front as well.

My focus now is to get back on the horse, exercise wise. Glad to walk the hill yesterday as I said. I did it with my new hiking boots I bought on the internet from America. Thankfully they fit, which is a bit of miracle. I just have to get up to the level of fitness I had a month ago in the next month or so, and also start using my backpack to get used to that.

Making a beet salad today with beets I baked last night, and am baking an eggplant as I type. I think eating lots of delicious veges is important for this whole healthy living business.

No comments:

Post a Comment