Friday, December 31, 2010

Day 236: Mothers

My mother shits me sometimes. Of course, I love her, as sons should, but she can be a very annoying, selfish cow when she wants to be, like all mothers.

It's really been a miracle how much time I've been able to spend with her exercising these past 12 months. I think it has surprised us both.

She can be an extremely judgmental woman, and she is as subtle as a ton of bricks.

Like the time I got published in an international book. It was published in all the major English speaking countries, and is due to be translated into other major languages as well. It is a well known series, you would know it, and I did 33 entries and was the only person from Australia to do so.

You'd think you'd be able to be a little proud about that, wouldn't you? And so I announced one day that I was pleased to actually see the fucking book in a bookstore, and showed my brother a picture from my phone. My brother thought it was great. My mother said coldly, "That's not your book".

In her eyes I was a fraud because I hadn't written the whole thing. Where was my real book?

Isn't that shithouse?

I remember being 18 and bringing home my girlfriend. She was slim, fun, sexy, smart and leggy and I was madly in love with her. She left, and again my mother (who was only 42 it turns out) said to me, "Oh she's not very pretty is she".

Fucking bitch!

Even as recently as about 5 years ago, I took a girl home for a family dinner and mum commented afterwoods, "She's not very bright, is she. That will show up in the children".

How do you please a cow like this. Not that you should want to.

She has commented on others. Too fat. Too old. Too ugly. Too stupid. You name it. The bitch has it in for them.

As I said, it's a bit of a miracle that I've been able to spend so much time with her this last year.

Family can often only be taken in small doses.

Anyway, on the health front, I just did the 2 hour walk. With my mother. I was saying how well we were doing keeping the house clean, and we were making a real effort. Rather than just saying yes it looks good, and moving on, the bitch had to say yes she got upset when it was messy etc etc ie normally it looks like shit.

Now I'm not particually sensitive but this woman lived in a dire fucking shithole of a house for about 15 years before she reno'd the kitchen. So I reminded her of this. She denied it, which really shit me, and so I pointed out that this was the reason people didn't like to visit her for so long ie her house was a shithole.

She then went into a sulk and that was that.

I don't think I'll be going for a swim with her this afternoon.

2 comments:

  1. Good to get all that stuff off your chest mate - just had three days up North visiting my folks so I can relate to it! All I would say is that my Mother is now in a nursing home (has been for the last year) suffering with advanced dementia and although our relationship was a strange one now in a way she is gone forever - whatever needed to be said will never be said. My old Man is like your Mum - never gave out a bit of praise to my face - then you find out behind your back he's bigging you up to anyone who will listen - sometimes its hard for parents to accept that they are not the ones in charge anymore - your achievements may also just shine a light on what they themselves have or haven't done with their lives. There you go mate, for what its worth - and I haven't even mentioned the Cricket! Look forward to our banter in 2011.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah the Cricket. Good thing my TV is stuffed isn't it. And like an advanced dementia patient, I can just think of good things past.....

    ReplyDelete