Friday, May 21, 2010

Day 12: (Non)pissy lunch

Went for a cracker walk yesterday. After speaking ill of my terminator mother, she arrived with her little head torch, and we trudged off into the dark at about 5.15 to take on the wilds of Mt Cootha.

Sounds crazy but my piss-free fitness has noticeably improved after only 12 days. I was bounding up the hills, relatively speaking, and breaking into a little run 3 or 4 times. Good effort over about 1 hour 45 minutes.

If I did that every day there would be nowhere to hide.

Mum complemented me on my new energy. I haven't told her I'm off the turps for 12 months as I don't want a condescending congratulations (my mother has never been fond of the drink).

Meanwhile, another client lunch yesterday. Guaranteed that I would have had at least 1 beer and 3 wines in my sliding doors alternative drinking universe, after which I either would have had a slow afternoon and sobered up in time to drive home or cabbed it otherwise. Either way, the afternoon would have been a wipeout and I would have been grumpy that night and slow the next day.

Anyway, this time I didn't drink anything. My guests didn't really either, for some reason. I had a great time, with lots of sober laughter. I guess it is true you don't need a drink to have a good time, at least in a non-sexual sense anyway.

The bill was also a couple of hundred bucks less than it would normally be. I suspect I won't be getting the best seat in the house for much longer.

Meanwhile, back in the office, I really noticed how I could keep working on my return. How productive it is off the drink. This was particularly important because a senior character around the traps came for a second opinion on something. Your IQ is higher sober and not hungover. I was able to help him out with a clear head.

I was also able to go out and see a movie after. The things you can do post lunch.

I was on a bit of a roll and keen to walk this morning but unfortunately have left my shoes in the office. I think I will buy a second pair on the weekend. I might even go for a walk at lunchtime today. My goal for this week was to walk every day and so far I think I have except for the day I was in Sydney.

ps - Drink must be on my mind. I had a dream last night I had a drink of Little Creatures Bright Ale. I could see it clearly. Naturally it was in a glass. I drank it, and it was like drinking sunshine. It was wonderful. I immediately felt guilty. What would I tell everyone? Would I tell them? I was in quite the state. Then I woke up to some relief.

No comments:

Post a Comment