Sunday, May 16, 2010

Day 7: Sliding Doors weekend and reflection

Well, after the monster piss night on Friday, in my usual universe Saturday would have been a write off. This would have meant, no exercise, pies or other crap for breakfast, crap (perhaps chips if they were there) and crap (perhaps pizza) for dinner. Plus a lot of feeling sorry for myself.

In my new, sober universe, I went for a 1.5 hour walk around Mt Cootha, ate bruschetta for breakfast, sandwiches and salad for lunch, and a french style beef and carrot stew with mash for dinner that I cooked in the afternoon.

So I felt pretty pleased with myself about that. That is different behaviour directly caused by my decision not to be on the grog. Not to mention the, what, 20 beers or so that I have not consumed as well during the the week.

I did though have a bit of a tension headache. Why? Well, Dr Google has filled me in in relation to alcohol withdrawal, which is a bit of a touchy subject isn't it. People don't mind admitting that they suffer from caffeine withdrawal, it's almost a statement of pride, but who wants to admit to alcohol withdrawal symptoms? Only alcoholics get those don't they?!?

Well, I hope not!

As I said, I mainly drank in what I thought were moderate levels plus a longer session say every week or two. For example, I might have a beer when cooking and a glass of wine when eating. Or one or two beers in total and no wine, with a long lunch every now and then.

I wasn't getting pissed every night, or staying out until even 12, or anything like that.

But, being honest, stopping having this daily tipple has resulted in the following symptoms:

1. Irritability - this lasted for a day or so I think, but it was very real!
2. Headache - none now, but was still there last night, a week in. Will it come back again today? I hope not.
3. High blood pressure - I haven't tested it, but I was a little light headed one day during the week: a sure sign.
4. Appetite suppressant - I just wasn't getting as hungry. This is what skinny people must feel like naturally.
5. Itching - Late at night when out I found myself scratching myself. Not serious but it happened. Many wouldn't notice.

Dr Google has confirmed that each of these are minor symptoms of withdrawal. Thankfully I didn't get any major symptoms, no doubt because I wasn't drinking enough. But still, to be honest I didn't expect any!

One thing I'm very pleased about is that I have not been craving alcohol. Apart from a couple of habit related pangs at appropriate moments (approaching the bar, sitting down for a meal), it has been fine. I'm not obsessing or really wanting to crack a stubbie (which I could, they are in my fridge and not far from the 20 or so bottles of wine in my house).

The benefits in one week have been:

1. Not drinking 20 beers or so.
2. Not being hungover 2 days (mildly and badly respectively).
3. Walking when I would have normally have been hungover on Saturday.
4. Not eating crap when I normally would have due to hangover on Friday (probably due to mild hangover and drunken dinner) and Saturday (when I would have been hungover).
5. Sleeping better (for sure).
6. Less hungry and generally trying to eat better because I'm trying to be healthy.
7. Mentally feeling like I'm more in control.

So there we are. After one week, no regrets at all. Why did I wait this long? Here's to the next 51, and the next 12 in particular. I really think I can make some inroads in my fitness and weight in the next three months, and cement the no booze as a lifestyle and exercise as a habit.

My goal for the next week is to walk each day.

2 comments:

  1. What a tremendous effort. How you got through your first week with so much temptation is an absolute credit to you!

    I myself have had only 1 night of full on boozers in my face. It was a bit tough I admit but I'm so pleased I managed to control myself.

    I'm nearing the end of day 6 myself and to be honest I have had a number of cravings including tonight where I nearly fell.

    I too have been exercising heaps.

    I find it makes a great difference.

    One again mate. Bloody good effort.

    Stay strong.

    Cheers

    Brett.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brett

    Thanks mate. I really appreciate it.

    Yes I am ramping up the exercise, went both days on the weekend (probably close to 2 hours around Mt Cootha each time) - I'm on a bit of a high really. I agree that's the key, because otherwise you think, well what's the fucking point. When you are powering up a mountain, feeling fitter only days off the sauce, then you know you're doing the right thing. What are you going to be like if you keep this up for a year or more!?!

    I'm going pretty well with the grog. I think the worst is behind me (touch wood). I pity those with a true, severe physical addiction.

    Definitely feeling better.

    Grogger.

    ReplyDelete