Friday, May 14, 2010

Day 5: Passed the test

Well, I had a function last night at the UQ staff club. Beers on tap were many and varied, and included local micros. My co-worker, a slight, fit, 26 year old girl, had a pint of Coopers Sparkling and a Coopers Stout. Everyone drank except for me. Grog does not affect their ability to keep thin and trim.

But anyway, I didn't have any. I had a couple of waters. I was able to drive my co-worker home, slept well, and feel fine now.

I actually passed two tests yesterday. During the morning I was beaten up in my performance review (not literally). I had to go home after this anyway, but in the ordinary course if you take such a hammering, and are a bit down and stressed, the temptation would be to have a beer (one would be fine) to relax. That is part of alcohol's role after all.

I didn't.

I've got another function tonight, which shows the challenges of a professional grog-wise. I have at least two times a week in which I am expected to have something to drink for my job. Everyone else does. Tonight, I can assure you, I will be the only sober person at our group. It will be a big night.

Next week I want to move from thinking about grog to thinking about exercise. I want to start that tomorrow morning, when I would otherwise have been terribly hungover from the fancy dinner tonight. My exercise has been poor this week but I guess I was thinking about the grog as a first step.

Bad news for my doctor. He has a terminal illness and will die soon. That means I have outlasted 3 of them from the one two room practice who have died or will die over an 18 month period. I wonder if he wishes he had the Sparkling if he has been off the grog recently.

No comments:

Post a Comment