Friday, September 10, 2010

Day 123: Progress and musings

I have had a cracking week exercise wise. I ended up going for another hours walk last night and am generally feeling good. I even had an exchange in the kitchen which I will relay for anyone looking for motivation:

Fit girl: Have you lost weight?
Me: I'm trying to.
Fit girl: Well whatever you are doing, it's working

which is pretty exciting. One thing I have noticed about myself though is when I am really doing a lot of exercise (eg I do big walks 4 days out of 5) my body goes into a bit of a panic and demands that I eat calories/a lot of food/crap. I have seen it before and it happened again yesterday.

If I cut back on the exercise for a day or so then the distress goes and so do the demands.

I have seen this all before. What in fact happens is if I push through with the exercise, keeping up the intensity, then the distress my body is going through fades and the irrational demand for crap/calories goes with it. It's when that happens that I'm in "the groove", or golden exercise and weight loss/looking better and better by the day period.

So I don't feel too bad about yesterday. If I'm ever going to eat a bit of crap, doing it on a day I've exercised over 3 hours is probably a good choice.

I'm having a "rest day" today. I have been going like a champ all week, and it probably makes sense. I also have to go to work early.

Tomorrow though, I want to do the big walk again. And Sunday. If I can do these big walks on both days each weekend then I'll be in a good position. They are about 3.5 hours each, so that would be 7 hours of hill walking on the weekend. Pretty hard to do better than that.

I was speaking to a mate last night who asked me about when I missed the grog. I said I was pretty well over it but in some, limited circumstances I felt I was missing out. Generally though, I don't even think of it any more.

And I tell you what, I've got a good feeling about my weight in the next week or two. I think I can smash the 15kg barrier which would be a bloody good thing as it means I'm back in business and have 20kg in my sights.

I've got a lunch today with someone I used to have outrageous sessions with that descended into all sorts of things that you look back fondly on. It's a bit of a perspective change not drinking, and undoubtably not as fun or expectant.

But I count that as collateral damage. 15kg here I come.

No comments:

Post a Comment