Saturday, September 18, 2010

Day 131: Food musings

I had my day off yesterday. Food was pretty good. I baked the sweet potato in the morning and ate it on sandwiches during the day with avo and a little pork. I had a leave pass for tea and was feeling a bit all over the place and could have ended up eating anything. Instead I had a hankering for something wholesome and bought some lamb cutlets and ate them (pan fried with salt, pepper and olive oil) with a salad of lettuce and tomatoes (dressed with olive oil, red wine vinegar and salt) and broccoli salad (boiled and dressed with olive oil, salt and pepper). Delicious! I had some berries and yogurt for dessert.

All with some crusty bread of course.

Good healthy, sustainable, fabulous living there. Veges, salt and fat are the cornerstone of the mediterranean diets of the world in my view - specifically, using salt and fat (typically olive oil) to transform an inedible vegetable such as broccoli or an eggplant into something delicious you want to eat forever.

I did cook thai for a long time (5 years), but it is so hard and I've got a view that asian cooking is about flavouring rice with slight of hand, with rice being the heart of the meal, whereas in mediterranean cooking the vegetables are the heart of the meal (and are transformed using simple techniques involving salt and fat, as I said). I want to eat more vegetables than rice, and I want it to be easy. Asian cooking also uses a lot of mystery sauces out of asian factories that I'm not too fussed on either from a real food perspective.

What I hope for today is to do the long walk around the hill, getting back into it (after my day off). But I will wait until it is sunnier, as it is a Saturday.

This is of course a risk in that if I get too comfortable I won't do it.

I am feeling better, whether or not I lose weight this week. I feel smaller, and more alert. A co-worker claims to be on a crash diet for a health check and this week he has been ratfaced at least twice, including a full afternoon on the turps at a French restaurant. How on earth could you come out of that losing weight, being healthier or looking fitter? It is just impossible, and I do speak from some experience in relation to that having bashed myself up in a similar fashion for a decade.

That sort of hard living only leads in one direction.

UPDATE: Well, I did the long walk. I was much stronger than I was even two or three weeks ago, when I last did it. I think it is the stairs I am doing, as well as the other walks of course. Back and feeling fine. I hope to do the longer walk every Saturday and Sunday. It takes over 3 hours up and down the hills of mount cootha, and will sort anyone out.

No comments:

Post a Comment