Saturday, June 5, 2010

Day 27: Clothes fit that didn't

I had a good moment yesterday in that I was poking around looking for something to wear after work, and tried some shorts, shirt and a jacket that I've worn (or tried to wear) before. They all fitted fine. I could do the jacket up. I swear a month ago I wouldn't have been able to fit in the shorts, and the jacket would not have been able to be done up.

I'm not kidding myself that I'm a normal weight, or look anything but unfit, but that's the sort of tangible progress and results that motivates you to keep on the straight and narrow.

To continue to stay off the grog.

To continue to exercise, and to keep building on it.

To continue to improve the quality of the food I eat.

I had an egg on a nice salad and toasted turkish bread last night. The egg was poached in olive oil, the salad was dressed with olive oil, red wine vinegar and salt. The turkish bread was toasted under the grill with olive oil and a little salt. I was a little peckish later on so I had two slices of bruschetta wiped with garlic and topped with finely chopped rosemary, salt and olive oil.

Very nice, and certainly not low fat. The 'diet' I'm trying to follow in my life is just to eat real food and avoid crap eg the hot chips I had for lunch yesterday. That combined with exercise and no piss, allows me to live like a king while eating beautiful real food and making progress (I know I'm making progress - the clothes, and I should say, belt, do not lie).

One thing I'm trying to do is ramp up the veges. I roasted an eggplant the other day and it was a cracker. Just sliced, salted for a few minutes, then baked at 200 degrees for about half an hour tossed with olive oil. I'd like to have a single vege as the main or at least significant part of my meal every night eg eggplant one night, cauliflower another, broccoli another, and so on.

Nothing fancy, but certainly delicious.

Certainly not steamed, low fat crap.

No, fat and salt is what is needed to make vegetables tasty. Just ask any traditional food culture.

Do not make the mistake of asking a nutritionalist.

I'd also like to eat more fish. I'm thinking about making Saturday night fish night. It isn't something I eat much of. It's hard - or at least I think it's hard - for me to source the good stuff. But I'm going to try.

Today, in an hour or so, I want to walk around Cootha - long or short it does not matter. Tomorrow I want to do the long walk though. I think it's really important I do that. I reckon I lose half a kilo whenever I do it (although I haven't measured). The longer walk is almost 4 hours up and down hills.

Your body can't ignore that no matter how stubborn it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment